Tuesday 23 June 2009

It's loud and tasteless and I've heard it before

There seem to be, surprisingly, more Resort collections than ever this season. Thus, I must wade the seas and net out the superior.




1. Proenza Schouler. As usual, a brilliant melting pot of all the right, unexpected elements. And those shoes!



































2. 3.1 Phillip Lim. Simple, chic, voila.






































3. Rag & Bone. Let me just clarify how on board I am with the sweatpants trend. I was on board when the Sartorialist first highlighted the look for men years ago, and then when it started turning up fairly recently on menswear runways, and I'm kind of thrilled that it's catching on for women. King of Trend, A. Wang, sort of pulled it out of the woodwork, and Garance recently posted about the art of the sweatpant, and I think for one to truly pull off the look is such a fashionable feat that really relays where modern fashion has taken its seat. In contrast with Wang, I really enjoy how R&B has paired them with more formal elements. Also, love the Indian-inspired drop-crotch and head scarf.






4. Balenciaga. The same predictably great brave, streamlined, unique silhouettes.



































5. Thackoon. Simple, elegant, edgy. Also, I absolutely love the way this lookbook was shot.





































6. Bottega Veneta. Often I like to think of Bottega Veneta as Gucci's less flashy cousin. They've mastered the art of the minimal, sophisticated statement piece.






























7. Moschino. Usually I find Moschino to be just a smidge too much--too costumey, too campy, lacking the, for my taste, necessary dash of sophistication. But the neutral color palette really creates a lovely, modern contrast juxtaposed with the classic antiquated, feminine Moschino silhouettes.

























8. Burberry Prorsum. As always, I'm in love. The dress recalls the most ethereal of Degas' ballerinas, and the suits the reliable rumpled structure that I adore about Burberry.

No comments: