Sunday 22 February 2009

Used to believe in a lot more

So it's been sunny and dry for about a week now, excluding small, schizophrenic patches of rain in the late morning. I've had quite a bit of leisure time on my hands due to it being that lovely in-between-papers time, so I've actually managed to top off the once seemingly unrealistically vast list of reading that I'd been compiling over the past year or so (that is to say, I actually completed the reading, not just the compilation of the list). It's safe to say I am out of books to read, and utterly exhausted with contemporary American writing; my exploration of the genre has been ambitious and precise, and I feel as if I've completed a course of sorts. But I do feel a little lost now, and a little disheartened. The more you read, the more 'good' books feather their way into the mediocre category as the judgement continues to seep its way into your literary appetite. Perhaps it's time for some Joyce. I need to be anchored by reverence and excitement to a text. But I guess that's kind of how I'm feeling in regards to just about every aspect of my life at the moment; I need something new, big and new.

So, lazy weekend. Got dirty giving Lucy's bike a tune-up yesterday, strolled in the afternoon sunshine, watched hours and hours of Freaks and Geeks. Today I lolled about, pillaging the stack of New Yorkers next to my bed until about three, then met Shaun for coffee. It was sunny and windy, and it felt like fall. We people-watched in the Meadows. There were two guys who were practicing tight-rope walking behind us, on a very durable looking black rope that had been fastened tightly on both ends to two trees standing about twenty feet from each other. I'd say it only hung about four feet off the ground, but it was still a fun sight to behold upon turning around every once and awhile. In front of us, three agile young men in colored knee-socks and jerseys jutted to and fro, exercising a soccer ball in every imaginable way. We must have seen about every breed of dog, as well, each portraying equally distinct and humorous mannerisms. A sandy-headed girl, probably about seven, in a camel hair pea coat and chocolate brown knee highs and beret, walked a curly, caramel-colored, happy looking dog, who was much larger than she, on a red leash; a young boy on a colbalt blue tricycle got stuck in the mud; a large man in an calve-length wax pea coat--tweed on the inside--stared knowingly at two smug looking, giggly university students, one with a beard, one wearing riding boots, as they drank their cold coffee. After awhile it got cold and we parted and I met up with Lucy. Colored, snacked, yarned. Lazy weekend, lazy fun. I'm just looking for a husband.

1 comment:

Leonard Miller said...

I'm back on the Joyce diet tomorrow morning, seven a.m. and no later