Saturday 21 February 2009

New York Fall 2009 RTW; My favorites


First off, I love love loved the chocolate tones at the Dennis Basso show, and I loved how nonchalantly the whole look was put together; it was just fucking sexy.













Who doesn't look at any Band of Outsiders collection and not have the same mouth-watering, 'I need that to be on me' reaction? Their models always look like the 'coolest chick in the room', and, personally, it's such a relief to see designers veering away from the nauseating eighties retrospect that seems to be flooding the fashion world right now. These clothes are simple, they are cool, and they are thoughtful.





















Karen Walker. Give me a pea coat, some space boots, and aviator glasses any day--I can think of few more satisfying combinations.











The use of colour at Thakoon was impeccable. So many loud hues were marched down the runway this season in such abundance, so many of them bordering on tasteless, that Thakoon's subtlety really was a breath of fresh air. This jacket is definitely one of my favorite pieces of the week.










Rag & Bone. Love the mixing of neutrals, length, and texture in such a subtle way. This look is badass, and it is casual. I could wear this everyday.













I loved the men's looks at M by MJ, the oxfords and jackets up top with sweats and sneakers on the bottom, a la Sartorialist. It's about as effortless as you can get, and I dig it.












I'm always allured by the simplicity of Calvin Klein, but now especially. This dress is so basic, yet its deconstruction makes it so distinct. She's like a flapper from the future.







Because, although Erin Fetherson can indeed be a bit costumey at times, she knows that any girl wants to go to the party dressed as a princess. This look is a treasure; it's adorable, but only mildly juvenile; it maintains a sexiness that could have been completely lost. The crimson lips are crucial.







But the uncontested (in my opinion) best show of the season was Proenza Schouler. Every season I am as equally impressed as the last. Their knack for capturing trends, but not catering to them is a true delight; while their clothes are always perfectly wearable for the season at hand, they are, more than anything, an individual thought. Proenza Schouler, at their best, encapsulate the tailoring of Balenciaga, the styling of Marc Jacobs, and the inventiveness of Prada.

No comments: