Wednesday 12 November 2008

Blame it on the pits

I've been swamped with work. In a matter of two days I've completely conquered the University of Edinburgh library, and even stayed until about closing last night, slaving over research for my Art History paper. Afterwards I met up with the lot for drinks at the Library Bar, stumbled in cinematically with my cumbersome stack of old, smelly books on old, smelly art . I hadn't eaten anything all day, so the two Newcastles I consumed went straight to my head and it was good, clean post-library devotion fun, but getting myself up at quarter to eight this morning (the earliest I've risen since my move here) after a mere three hours of cough-stricken slumber was significantly less enjoyable, mostly because of the mysteriously nasty hangover hiding in my stomach and head. Boy am I a lightweight. So anyway, I popped out of bed, orally went down the list of things to accomplish before I could come back to my box and crawl into bed (I've begun talking to myself, it's wonderful) and got my sorry, sluggish ass out the door, into a taxi (fuck it), and up the steps to the library where I shuffled around returning books, climbing staircase after staircase, trying not to puke, and pillaged the fourth floor for any information on some seriously boring, seriously irrelevant "Dutch masters," which I then copied into my notes at a table by a very sunny window that made me so hot I felt like I was going to keel over from dehydration. Needless to say, it was far too sunny a morning. Then it was from the main library to the Art History library, an annoying trek, but made less annoying by the morning's first and only salvation: a breakfast sandwich. Yes, the force is strong in the Breakfast Sandwich. Its healing powers are unmatched in terms of greasy, toxin-absorbing matter. And so the day ensued, boring errands, hours spent in dispassionate studiousness for "my fun subject". Tomorrow morning I have to get up early again, for Art History nonetheless, to give a presentation on a dusty old Jan Steen painting that no one ever has, nor ever will, give two shits about. "My fun subject," has not been so fun this week. But next week will be better. Next week I will feel accomplished, and I will feel relaxed.

No comments: