Thursday 21 October 2010

"IS SUBJECTIVITY TEMPORAL OR AFFECTIVE?"

On top of a filing cabinet in room 6.11 of the English department in David Hume Tower, there are a few stacks of enormously thick, oversized leather-bound books, which upon further examination turn out to be a set of complete archives of the New York Review of Books. Shitloads of volumes. I feel like this is some sort of important discovery. Who is using these? Can I use them? Who do I speak to about using them? Does anyone know more about this?

And while we're on the subject: while I used to dispute with Shaun over whether or not Lee Spinks is the biggest hessian in the English department (I was always on team Millard, which is funny), I have indeed been swayed after today's lecture. Holy shit. Dude said more profound things in the last few minutes than most people say in their entire lives--it was literally is if he were competing in some contest to say the most esoterically intelligent things about lyrical poetry in under two minutes. I think everyone in the theatre experienced some sort of existential epiphany; I personally felt like my head was going to explode with them. I don't think there's enough words, at my immediate disposal anyway, to articulate how good this guy is at talking about literature, and making it seem important. I'm pretty sure he knows everything, and could talk about it, beautifully, all the time, forever. Absolute madness. It's like he turns a thing completely over to reveal the absolute truth of it, in perfect clarity.

Nerd alert.

No comments: